Of particular interest at airports such as KSMO, FAA requires runway safety areas. Here’s a jpeg showing the text of 14 CFR § 139.309, followed by a short list of references to further info within the Advisory Circular.
- Runway Safety Area (RSA): section 307 at page 59 in the PDF
- Obstacle Free Zone (OFZ): see section 308, at page 62 in the PDF
- Runway Protection Zone (RPZ): see section 310, at page 70 in the PDF
- Clearway standards: see section 311, at page 75 in the PDF
- Surface gradient: see section 313, at page 76 in the PDF